It’s hot, muggy, and bugs are everywhere. Naturally, my thoughts turn to summer camp. Oh, the humanity of it all. Awkward pre-teens being bossed around by awkward teens simply screams “pleasant experience for all parties involved.”
Enjoy this list of must-see summer camp movies sure to keep you cool and mosquito-free (because you’ll be watching them inside…on your couch…away from nature…like sane person).
1. Meatballs (1979): Bill Murray, Chris Makepeace, and a rivalry with a rich camp across the lake. Plus, David Naughton’s “Makin’ It” is on the soundtrack!
2. Wet Hot American Summer (2001): Amy Poehler, Paul Rudd, and a dozen other amazing actors before they became super-famous. Bonus: A rivalry with a rich camp across the lake.
3. Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp (2015): A Netflix-produced, eight-part series that serves as a prequel to the 2001 original. All the actors are back, wildly rich and famous, fourteen years older, and even funnier than before. Plus, there’s a rivalry with a rich camp across the lake.
4. National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983): The original classic filmed in which Randy Quaid plays super crazy before actually becoming super crazy. True, there’s no rivalry with a rich camp across the lake, but if Lindsey Buckingham’s “Holiday Road” and The Pointer Sisters’ “I’m So Excited” (edited out in some versions of the movie) don’t help you beat your summer heat, you’re dead inside.
5. Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th (2013): Speaking of being dead inside, Crystal Lake Memories is a delight and one of the most in-depth movie documentaries ever produced. All original Friday the 13th movies are covered from severed tip to dismembered tail, along with the television series (if you remember it, you are SUPER cool), and the remake. Alas, there’s no rivalry with a rich camp across the lake because they’re dead.